Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Nothing Says Love Like A Bus Ride

Day House
Ah, the quiet stillness of the early morning at camp. So very different than the noisy chaos of the bus ride to camp! Before I regale you with my tales of woe, let me first tell you that no teens or pre-teens were harmed in the making of this episode.

Our adventure began before we even made it onto the bus. I received an email from camp saying that our bus wouldn't be arriving until 9:45, instead of 9:00 or 9:15.

Um...okay.

So I sent the parents on their way and said, "If you want to see your kids off, just be back by 9:45. The bus arrived about five minutes later, at 9:15.

Um...okay.

Our bus driver was kind enough to allow us to wait until 9:45 before leaving just in case parents were able to make it back.

And then we were off in our Mercedes of buses! (Thanks to Mrs. Dewes for that description!)  I have to say, it's pretty cool to be the one on the bus watching everyone in the school waving you off...especially this year for me, what with teaching all of the kids in school. But we'd barely made it past kindergarten when I heard, "1...2...3...

Are we there yet?!!!"

Oh, it's going to be that kind of bus ride. Fabulous.

Now, normally the first song that seems to make the playlist every year is "The Wheels on the Bus." (I wonder how many times the bus driver has heard that one!) But not this year. The first song, for some reason unbeknownst to this teacher, was "Little Einstein." Rest assured, this was followed quite quickly by "The Wheels on the Bus." I mean, we hadn't even gotten past the office!

Some of our other entertainment before we even got onto the freeway:

  • Bazooka-zooka Bubble Gum
  • 99 Bottles of Beer on the Wall (at least they didn't sing the entire song like the brother of one of this year's campers did a few years ago)
  • You Are My Sunshine
  • When I See You Again (okay, I actually sang along with this one)
  • All About That Bass
  • The Barney Song (seriously??? He's a dinosaur...isn't he dead yet?)
At about 10:10, I found myself asking, "Is someone humming the Mario Brothers theme?! Five minutes later, at 10:15, someone yelled out, "Everyone! Let's play the quiet game!!" (did anyone else catch the irony there?!)

10:15 and 30 seconds...game over.

Oh, but what a blissfully quiet 30 seconds it was.

A few minutes later, someone yelled out, "Are any of you people planning on taking a nap? Because now would be a really good time!" I wonder if this was the same kid who wanted to play the quiet game. Oh, and no one responded to her nap question...I don't think anyone but me heard her! Instead, someone started singing "Frosty the Snowman"...in October!

Then came the portion of our bus ride where kids started noticing things outside of the bus:
  • "Denny's! We should go to Denny's!!
  • "We're going to Napa! Yay!!"
  • "Six Flags! Ohmygod!!!" (this was followed by the chanting of "Six Flags! Six Flags!"
  • And then, of course, every year someone says, "Miss McMillan, can we go to Six Flags?!"
Every. Single. Year.

About the time we hit the Lakeville Road, some of the kids seemed to invent some new sort of game called "The last time I was on this road." It went something like this:
  • The last time I was on this road...I was going to a wedding.
  • The last time I was on this road...I was with my grandma.
Yeah...it didn't last long.

But it was followed by me asking a question I don't think I've ever uttered: "Who's singing 'It's Raining Men'?!"

Finally, we made it to Petaluma and I heard someone say, "In, like, 30 feet, a McDonalds is coming up!" And the crowd goes wild! I don't know why...it's not like we were going to go through the drive-thru. And, oh, by the way...I never did see the McDonalds. We did, however, see a Starbucks which led to the chanting of, "Starbucks! Starbucks! Starbucks!!"

No, it wasn't me.

Other random statements from our ride:
  • "I don't have the measles!" (Good to know, kid...good to know.)
  • "Are we there yet?!" (I should have been keeping track of how many times I heard that one.)
  • "This bus is amazing!" (I know, right?!)
  • "Are we almost there?" (I should, of course, include this in the tally of "Are we there yets."
  • "Miss McMillan, I'm feeling very car sick right now!" (Well, that's not what you want to hear!)
We interrupt this blog post for a public service announcement:
The next time you're driving down the road in the Mercedes of buses, take a video of the kids...and make sure they see you doing it. But if you have sensitive ears...or just ears...you probably should, you know, not do that.
This was followed by the chanting portion of our program. It followed this pattern: "I say 'Cari-' and you say '-tas'!" "Cari-" "-tas"! You get the picture, right? Here were some of the other chants:

  • I say "pumpkin spice" and you say "latte"
  • I say "Sponge" and you say "Bob"
  • I say "Patrick" and you say "star"
  • I say "Mister" and you say "Crab"
  • I say "Taylor" and you say "Swift"
  • I say "quiet" and you say "nothing" (clever...but didn't quite get the response he was looking for)
  • And my favorite: I say "Miss" and you say "McMillan"

Thus ends the tale of yet another Camp Caritas-bound bus ride. And now...the teacher needs a nap.






No comments:

Post a Comment