Thursday, October 25, 2012

Weather Permitting


That's not a phrase you hear up at camp. We don't make plans around the weather; we make plans...and we do them. So, when we were getting ready to come up to Camp Caritas and we noticed that the week was looking very wet, my response to the kids was, "Doesn't matter. It is what it is, and we don't let it stop us."

That doesn't mean, of course, that I was any less happy when it turned out to be an absolutely gorgeous day at the beach yesterday. I was thrilled! The forecast had been for a very rainy day at Bodega Head, but turned out to be sunny and warm...and beautiful!

While the kids were wandering around the headlands with their teacher-naturalists, I walked around with our site director, Katie. We were both hoping to spot one of the many gray whales that pass along this stretch of the coast. I'd never seen a whale in my many trips to the ocean over the years, so you can imagine my excitement when Katie spotted one for us. At first we saw it spout water a couple of times, but then we saw the tail fin and got really excited! The entire time we watched this whale, we were treated to a soundtrack of seal pups that inhabit a small island right off the coast. What a wonderful moment!

Later, as the kids were piling back onto the buses for our ride back to camp, Dominic yelled out to me that there was a coyote nearby. I was about the only person who hadn't seen one yesterday. I was determined to get a picture of one, so I ran over to where he'd been spotted and managed to track him down just as he was getting ready to pounce on his prey.

And then there was Peaches! Now, I'm not normally a big fan of the small dogs; I love a dog I can wrap my arms around. But Peaches was just the sweetest little puppy ever! She's a four-month-old Teacup Chihuahua who was out on a leash for the very first time. She had actually been abandoned by someone and wound up in the care of the woman we met walking her at the beach. Both Peaches and her human were kind, gentle souls.

I've created a Flickr set for all of my scenery pictures from my week at camp. I'll be adding to it as I go through all of my photos, but you can find the set here: Camp Caritas Scenery 2012.

If you've never been to this part of Northern California, you really need to do yourself a favor and visit places like Bodega Bay and Occidental. It is one of the most beautiful places you will ever see.

No comments:

Post a Comment