Thursday, October 27, 2011

Work Day for the Teacher

Tuesdays and Thursdays at camp are usually teacher work days for me. While the kids are off on their longest hikes of the week, I stay in my cabin and try and get some work done.

No, really, I do!! The kids are gone for about five hours beginning around 9:00 a.m. and after they get back they have electives and then free time. Electives include arts and crafts, archery, basketball, volleyball, horseshoes, and, of course, gaga ball! The most popular of all the electives! Why do kids love to get so muddy? Is it just because there's no one there to tell them to stop rolling in the mud? That's right, you heard me...rolling in the mud!
These were white when the game began!

I took plenty of pictures of muddy children on Tuesday. Each time they got out of the gaga ball pit, they were even muddier, so more pictures! When the kids would get out, Teacher-Naturalist Katy would make them line up and wait. A few minutes would pass before she'd make them do something like, "Sing 'I'm a Little Teapot' and I'll let you back in. But YOU MUST DO THE MOVES!" Of course, some of the kids were already doing the moves before she instructed them to do so. Creatures of habit, I guess. 

Katy had dozens of different songs to torture the kids with. And sometimes she would just make them drop and give her five push-ups. No problem! Anything to get back into the gaga ball pit! Hmmm...maybe I should have brought grammar homework for them after all!

After electives, it was most definitely time for showers! And, yes, they went willingly. The only time campers have to grab a shower is during their free time Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday. So, unless you want to sleep in that mud...

After our dinner of ham and potatoes, the kids were off again to get ready for their night hike. This is a wonderful (and safe) opportunity for kids to face their fears and just do it anyway. I opted to stay in my cabin where it was warm and where I could get a little more work done. 

Day House - aka, The Teacher's Hideaway

No comments:

Post a Comment